5 year old with itchy tongue

Discussion in 'General Allergy Info' started by Mom3, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Offline

Mom3 New Member

Message Count:
    My 5.5 year old has been having an itchy tongue on and off since September. However, I believe it actually started months before that, when he had an itchy tongue but it went away and didn't return until September. He started going to a new school and eats the meals that are given at school. I wasn't sure if it's something he eats at school, but it happens also when he eats at home. It always starts as an itchy tongue for the first day or two and then it turns into these white sores on his tongue. It happened 3 times since September (around every 2 weeks or so). I took him to the pediatrician and she thought it was just a cranker sore and told me it would go away. Well, it did go away, however, it came back again after around 2 weeks. Once again, he had an itchy tongue at first and then once I saw those little white bumps (sores I guess) he started complaining that it was painful. Everytime he developed those sores, he couldn't sleep and so my husband and I had to stay up many nights when he couldn't sleep because of the pain. I gave him ibuprofen, but it didn't help much so I gave him some ice (which only helped at the moment). Once again, I took him to the pediatrician after the third time and she wasn't sure what it was so she prescribed Acyclovir (in case it's a virus) and told me to use it whenever his first symptoms (when he says he has an itchy tongue) if it happens again and also told me to see an allergist. I haven't taken him to an allergist yet. Just two days ago, he started complaining about the itchy tongue again. So I started giving him the Acyvlovir antibiotic. He's on the 2nd day of it and now he's complaining that the tip of his tongue, once again, hurts. I see a little white bump coming out again. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I'm thinking of taking him to an allergist, but then I read posts of mom having a similar situation and doctors couldn't solve the problems. I'm looking for an allergist that has done research about this mysterious itchy tongue...or a really good doctor that could help...if anyone could recommend a good one in the NYC area (near Queens would be great)...please help. I don't want to just go to any allergist and then ending up without answers. I don't like to see my son suffer every like two weeks.
  2. Offline

AllergyGuy Administrator

Message Count:
    Allergist is a good start..... Isolation diet might help to see if some food is triggering it.