Hey everyone..Polysorbate 80 allergy sufferer among other things. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by seattlejeff, May 20, 2009.

1. Offline

seattlejeff New Member

Message Count:
    Hey everyone..Polysorbate 80 allergy sufferer among other things. Anyone else?

Hello Members,
    I have been suffering from skin rashes all winter and spring. Have been to many derms and have had many diagnosis which have proved negative from lupus, to Hashimoto's disease, to kidney failure. Finally saw my nutritionist and she had a food sensitivity test performed by a lab in Florida. By the way, my patch test for regular pollen and other allergens were negative.

As it turns out my highest reaction was to Polysorbate 80 which is in just about everything from cosmetics, vitamins, to toothpaste. Also moderate reactions to wheat, that is a biggie, apple, cheddar, cow's milk, lamb, lemon, onion, potato, yogurt to name a few.

I am totally overwhelmed. Anyone suffering from any of these in particular Polysorbate 80? My nutritionist is going to help me through this but I feel my quality of life will be totally affected.

I did find a good site to help you muttle through the thousands of products containing Polysorbate 80.

Sure could use some support and guidance here.

Glad to have found this forum.

Thanks,

seattlejeff
  2. Offline

AllergyGuy Administrator

Message Count:
    Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the board.

If you stay away from Polysorbate 80 do the rashes go away? I can understand being overwhelmed but over time you will figure out what works and what doesn't. Are you planning on removing some of the moderate reaction foods from your diet too or just the PS80? If you've found a good resource that you can check that's great. Isn't the 'net helpful? Just think how more difficult it would be without being able to go online.

Congrats on moving forward...
  3. Offline

seattlejeff New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the reply. Just got the results from the allergy test on Wednesday so I am just beginning the process of reading labels and such. Probably being allergic to PS80 and wheat will be my biggest challenges. But I also suffer from a chronic illness, so I will let my Primary Physician make the final decision what I should do as my quality of life is key at this point!!!!!!! I do hope this information will be helpful in eliminating a pesky rash I've had since December. Oddly enough I have been using all of the products and eating these foods for several years with no problems. Interesting to see these are now all causing my problem. This allergy test is relatively new and is not covered by insurance. So I don't really know how confident I am about it until I speak with my GP who has my whole medical history, or another allergest. Your comments?

Thanks for welcoming to the forum. I have been members of others and they are a great support. The net is extremely helpful.

All my best,

jeff
  4. Offline

AllergyGuy Administrator

Message Count:
    There is no question food allergies will alter your eating habits. It would be best to figure out exactly what you need to avoid. I agree that wheat is a little tough as it's in breads and pasta. But, if you do need to avoid it there are good replacement rice pastas, for example.

Good luck and let us know what the doc determines.
  5. Offline

Haven Marge New Member

Message Count:
    Hi
    Polysorbate 80 is a nonionic surfactant and emulsifier derived from polyoxylated sorbitan and oleic acid, and is often used in foods. Polysorbate 80 is a viscous, water-soluble yellow liquid. The hydrophilic groups in this compound are polyethers also known as polyoxyethylene groups which are polymers of ethylene oxide. In the nomenclature of polysorbates, the numeral designation following polysorbate refers to the lipophilic group, in this case the oleic acid (see polysorbate for more detail).
  6. Offline

SneezyKate Member

Message Count:
    wow, I never though about thing like that possibly being an allergy. That might be something I should get checked out.