Possibly allergic to sprays on vegetables/fruit? Also bad pollen allergies.

Discussion in 'General food allergy discussion' started by TheNH813, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Offline

TheNH813 New Member

Message Count:
    I'm not sure why, but sometimes if I eat cucumbers or watermelon, it makes my throat swell up a bit. Not all the time, maybe 1/20 for watermelon and 1/10 for cucumbers. It makes it slightly harder to breathe, like someone was pressing on my neck a little and takes a long time to go away. It only lasts a few hours if was already taking allergy medication of some sort. Once it happened when I drank lemonade I made that contained orange peel as well, but only one time, I usually use peel and it never bothers me, nor has it since. It seems to vary in how bad it is each time, and I know I'm definitely intolerant of something. All fruits and vegetables are washed fairly well before eating them.

Also, I can't eat strawberries from the store, because they make me very sick and get terrible cramps. Feels like when you get food poisoning and have a really bad gutache. Ones that grow in the garden are normally fine. Never been able to eat any food product containing strawberry fruit pieces since I was little and ate some really unripe ones.

I also have very bad pollen allergies, and I'v been avoiding going outside as much as possible for a week or two because of how bad it's been the last few times. Zyrtec is getting less effective if I take it more then 1 day in a row now. Claritan stopped working completely after winter a few years ago. Going to get one of those washable masks that says it works for dust, mold and pollen (https://amzn.com/B009R9OL1E) and see if it helps when I go outside. Otherwise I feel like when someone has a bad cold and it lasts days. Maybe I should go see a doctor to find out exactly what my outdoor allergies are.

PS: Anyone else have a non-explainable reaction to a vegetable or fruit that dosen't happen every time?
  2. Offline

AllergyGuy Administrator

Message Count:
    You really should see an allergists about the citrus issue... It doesn't sound like you have an intolerance, it's sounds more like you have a dangerous food allergy. This isn't something to mess around with... It could be chemicals sprayed on, or other issues. But, the symptoms could escalate.
    TheNH813 likes this.
  3. Offline

TheNH813 New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah I'm definitely considering it. Citrus dosen't bother me though, I eat it all the time.
    That only happened once that I remember, but it happened many times with cucumbers.
    It also happened a few times with mellons, but never was very bad, more irritating then anything.
    I have been keeping track of when it happens and how many times I eat those foods.
    Which is why I was able to estimate about how much of the time it happens.
    Never happened when I ate home grown ones, which is definitely a clue to what it is.
    Either they get contaminated with a food I'm allergic to or I'm allergic to a spray.
    Stopped eating them entirely after making that post because of how bad it was at the time.
    As a side note, I am not allergic to any nuts, milk, gluten, oils or food additives as far as I can tell.
    It's specifically cucumbers that bother me the most, and strawberries make me feel very sick.

So, it could definitely end up getting worse each time? I'l keep that in mind and be very careful.
    Will definitely try to go to an allergist and find out what in specific I'm allergic to then.
    Thanks for the advice.
  4. Offline

AllergyGuy Administrator

Message Count:
    Hey, that's great you are keeping track. It will help you analyze your issue...Apologies - Didn't mean just citrus..I meant all things that make your throat feel irritated...

It is very interesting that you have a sampling of home grown produce to differentiate....Most people wouldn't have the opportunity. It would be interesting to the produce for chemicals or perhaps genetic modification.

Keep researching and absolutely see an allergists...

No, there is no guarantee that the symptoms will keep getting worse, but it is quite common.
    TheNH813 likes this.
  5. Offline

momof2cute New Member

Message Count:
    My friend has this severe allergy of nuts. Movies make it look funny with those swollen lips, but they tend to leave out that if not treated immediately sometimes it is fatal.